Love beets, but don’t know quick ways to cook them? Check out these quick beet recipe ideas.
Beets are a good source of iron and some research shows to be an immunity booster and even guard against cancer. They are also considered a high-fiber food and contain vitamins A and C as well as niacin and folic acid. Other than being a pretty colour, they are so good for us that I try to use them often in many different ways. Here are a just few ways to prepare beets.
Just Plain Beets
- Boiled Beets: A trick for boiling beets is to leave the skins on. Boil the beets for roughly 35-40 minutes, then drain them and let them cool. You can then peel them, slice or cube them.
- Roasted Beets: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Peel the beets and cut them into cubes then drizzle or toss with olive oil to coat and bake in a single layer in a roasting pan or on a heavy cookie sheet for roughly 60 minutes or until tender.
Simply peel and cube some potatoes, beets, sweet potatoes, carrots, yams, rutabagas, and turnips (or pick and choose the ones you like). Toss the cubes in a little olive oil and spread them out in a baking pan. Add some chopped onions and garlic. Cover with foil and bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees. Remove the foil and bake for about 10 more minutes (or until the veggies are done to your liking).
Beet Salad Recipe
- 4-6 large beets 1 shallot or small onion, minced
- 3 tbsp sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- 2-3 tsp white wine or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tbsp tarragon
- ¼ tspn garlic
- Pepper & salt to taste
- Cut the beets into cubes and cook (roast or boil).
Dressing: Combine all the ingredients and mix well. Then toss the sliced or cubed beets and stir to combine. Refrigerate until you’re ready to serve. This salad tastes even better after being in the refrigerator overnight.
Beets in your Salads
Another quick tip is to grate some raw beets and add them to the top of any tossed salad or add some cooked cubed beets to a potato salad. Us moms are constantly busy, so there’s nothing better than a quick beet recipe to keep our days moving!